Cannabics Capsules as Treatment to Improve Cancer Related CACS in Advanced Cancer Patients.
The purpose of this study is to examine the influence of Cannabics capsules on improving loss of appetite and loss of weight.
Experimental: Cannabics 5mg
Patients will be treated initially for 3-4 days with 1x5mg Cannabics capsules per day for gradual adaptation. From the 5th day, patients will be treated 2x5mg capsules per 24 hours for a period of 3 months. However, since some patients may suffer from side effects mainly, dizziness and or anxiety, dosage for these patients will be reduced to 5mg per day.
- Age above 18 years
- Histological evidence of an incurable malignancy
- Estimated life expectancy ≥3 months
- Performance status ≤2 (ECOG classification)
- Self-report of weight loss of at least 3kg during the preceding 2 months and/or a dietitian-estimated caloric intake of less than 20 calories/kg of body weight per day
- Patient believes that loss of appetite or loss of weight is an ongoing problem for him
- Use of chemotherapy or radiotherapy is permitted
- Sign of written informed consent
- Ongoing use of tube feedings or parental nutrition
- Edema or ascites
- Central nervous system metastases or brain tumors (patients with stable disease in the brain 28 days after treatment can be included in the study)
- Treatment with adrenal corticosteroids (except for short-term dexamethasone during time of chemotherapy), androgens, progestational agents or other appetite stimulants within the previous two weeks
- Insulin-requiring diabetes
- Pregnancy or lactation or unwillingness to use oral contraceptives
- Other life-threatening medical conditions
- Anticipated alcohol or barbiturate use during the study period
- Mechanical obstruction of the alimentary tract, malabsorption, or intractable vomiting
- Use of cannabis or synthetic cannabinoids in the last four weeks.